Sunday, April 15, 2012

Have A Blessed Day!

I like getting blessed by people in my life.  My priest. My mother. A stranger when I sneeze.  I also get blessed by clients on an almost daily basis.  A huge portion of my clients end phone calls with "Have a Blessed Day!" or "Be blessed."  Sometimes I thank them and sometimes I say, "The same to you!", it just depends on my mood.

This is a memorable "Have a Blessed Day!" story from last summer. 

Me:  Sorry, Ma'am, I can't pay your $93 water bill because your monthly income of $5,800 exceeds the income limit for this program.
Client:  Well, I might make $5,800/mo but I have lots of other bills to pay. My car note is $400/month, my cable/internet is $185 and I have to pay about $1,500 a month just on my credit cards!!
Me:  I'm sorry that you are having financial difficulties. Perhaps you can suspend your cable/internet for a month to get caught up on your water bill?  Once the water bill is paid you can restart your non-essential services.
Client: What do you mean NON-ESSENTIAL SERVICES??  I HAVE to have cable and internet because my son has ADD/ADHD and the only thing that keeps him entertained is the internet and computer games!  He's home all day since school is out and plays on line for about eight to ten hours a day and that's the only way to keep him calm!
Me: Ma'am--
Client: And I have to have a car to drive my kids to their school activities like sports and band and dance. I didn't even tell you how much I have to pay for that!!
Me:  Ma'am--
Client: Who do you think you are to tell me to cut my cable and internet!!
Me:  Ma'am--
Client:  I've never asked for help before and now you're refusing to help me because I have cable WHICH I NEED for my son!
Me:  Actually, I'm unable to assist you because your income exceeds the program limits.  You can try calling a couple of other agencies or, if you belong to a church, you can call them too.
Client: Ha! I bet you don't even go to church! You aren't being very Christian! I'll go and ask them! HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!

This was one of those times when the client said "Have a blessed day!" but what she really meant was "FUCK YOU!"

When I hear the sarcasm dripping from their voice, I'll usually respond with, "The same to you!" and it throws them off because now they're wondering if I'm saying, "Fuck you!" back.

I am.

-Dedicated but blessed Public Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment